Sunday, August 16, 2009

"What comes after that mommy? Then what, mommy?"

Well, today we went to church for our obligatory touching trek around the sanctuary. We had to name each thing we touched and what came first , next etc. Then, later, I am quizzed over and over and over. "What do you go in first, mommy? What do you go in second, mommmy? What came after the sanctuary, mommy?" This is a daily occurence for us. Somedays, I just really don't want to answer him after the 32nd time he asks, but I do answer because I realize that this is how Bear makes sense of his world. Its easy for us to see what is beyond where we are standing and that gives us comfort that we are in a safe place surrounded by familiar things. Bear doesn't have that. He needs to know what is where in relation to where he is and what comes next and so on. I think sometimes its just a game for him and he enjoys testing my memory to see if it is as good as his. (It definitely is NOT) However, the rest of the time I think he is genuinely trying to make sense of his environment. He wants to know where he has been and how it comapres to where he is currently. I am extremely lucky that the people at our church, as well as all the people who have joined our lives are so accomodating and encouraging to Bear. To borrow a popular book title, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child." It definitely does take a village to raise a blind child. If you are the parent of a blind child,or any special needs child, reach out for the resources that are available to you. You need other people in your life. You need a support system. They may be in your church, your family, your neighbours, or your school system, but they are there. I'll tell you more about the amazing village of people that we have embraced and who in turn have embraced us in another post. Have a wonderful evening. Welcome to my new followers. Feel free to comment on anything you read.

Blessings,

BEARZ Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment