Wednesday, October 7, 2009

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Hi
Well, Bear actually had a couple of good days. He was on Green Tues and today. It would have been a really nice night for me had it not been Interim Report Card day. I don't know if your school system does this, but ours runs on a schedule of 4, 9 week periods a school year. Then, half way through each 9 weeks, there is an Interim report. It has much less detail than the regular report card. Well,today the kids got them and I wasn't pleased. He got S's for the 4 core subjects, but I have never seen so many Ns in social skills. It hurt. I've been waiting for years and years for him to get his first report and it was terrible. At first, I was kind of angry. It seems like if he has documented issues of an autistic nature that affect his social skills, he shouldn't receive an N. Then, on the other hand,I don't want to make excuses for him. I want him to learn to do these things. I think I knew the problems and all, but seeing it in black and white was really harder than I would have thought. I almost wish it was academic problems instead. I know what to do for them.
Mean time, we were supposed to meet Monday with the person who observed him. However, she had a death in her family and was not there. She sent 3 social stories for him. Our VI shared them and the team of teachers at the meeting shortened them to make them easier for him. (they were really long) He has one to help him remember what to do when he comes in the classroom and one to help him remember to greet his class-mates. I also found out that the drinks I was sending him for snack were not okay, because he can't open them on his own(the pouch drinks). I can't tell you how many of those I have opened for sighted kids, but that isn't the point. So now, he is taking sugar-laden drinks that are supposedly easier to open. I also found out that he needs another backpack. His tends to fold down when he is trying to put stuff in, so he needs one that the front is stiffer on than the one he has. It is not easy to find those now, but Walmart had backpacks, unfortunately, not the right kind. Today, I went to Big Lots. I think I got what he needs, but if not, they said I could return it. Another suggestion that was made to me was that he needs to be in some sort of structured group to learn social skills/communication skills outside of school. I was told about 3 possible groups. Unfortunately, I have tried in my limited time to contact them and have left voice-mails or e-mails for all three and still have heard nothing back from them. Do you know how frustrating it is to know that your kid needs something and you can't get the people who may be able to help him to return a call. GRRRRRR It makes me so mad!!!!! Once I find them, I have to figure out how to afford the programs. They are quite pricy and because they are group therapy, I don't know if my insurance will help or not. The best one, I would also have to try and convince my boss to let me leave early one day a week to get him there on time. I'm told they are miracle workers though.

I think what is so hard in all of this, is that for years, I have heard his teachers talk about how much they enjoy having him and how much they learn from him. Now, I never hear anything but what he still needs to learn to do. Its quite a change. I guess the expectations are just different.
I have a lot to pray about, I guess. If you also believe in Christ and pray, please remember us in your prayers. We need guidance and we need to figure out how these needs can be met logistically and financially.
On a happier note, he did get a green day today, so after a bath, we heard some sounds on the computer- water fountain, chimpanzee, electric toothbrush, and Indri. Well, hopefully tomorrow will be a good day for Bear and for all of you too.

Blessings,

BEARZ mom

No comments:

Post a Comment