Sunday, May 15, 2011

My boy

Well,
My last post was all about me, me, me. Time to not be so Me-gocentric for now. Bear has done pretty well this year, but the past few weeks, we've seen a change. He is still super smart and can do what any kid in his class can do and a few things they can't do. His issues are focus, attention, social skills. He is considered on the autism spectrum and 98% of his difficulties stem from that, not blindness. So, he has been in a regular classroom this year, but seriously rethinking that. I don't want him to be in a situation where he gets in trouble and isn't able to do his work like he needs to, so I am hoping to put him in a smaller classroom. I know that is not the most popular way to go these days with IDEA and least restrictive environment, but it seems best to me, to allow him to be and do his best.
He is such an imaginative little boy. I think he will definitely grow up to do something creative. He tells all these cool stories. He calls them "walk around" stories because he tells them as he walks around the house. The events unfold based on what he encounters as he walks around . For example I turned on the microwave, and the characters in the story "heard a very loud sound". I will have to sit down and type up the stories as he tells them, but right now they evolve so much as they are being told, that I'm not sure someone could follow them.
Somebody told me yesterday how amazing they thought I was because of something they saw me saying or doing with Bear.I don't think I'm amazing at all. I think I am about the farthest from amazing a mom could be. Sometimes I feel like he deserves so much better than he got. I have a lot of health issues and some days I am so tired, I can barely make it. Those days, I have to rest a lot. He should have a mom who can run around and play and dance, like I used to. I know God knows all and has a plan for everything, but at times I wonder... not "Why did I get a special needs boy." like some think, because he is so much more than that. He is so many blessings from God wrapped in one. No, I ask, "Why didn't he get better?" Why doesn't he have a mom who can do everything? Why doesn't he have brothers and sisters and a father who lives with his mom? Well, enough of those thoughts.
Anyway, time to go get him his dinner so we can go to church. We have an awesome church family and I think it will do us some good to see them again.

Blessings,

BEARZ Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment